Wednesday 1 April 2015

Day One

So it's day one!  Well, it's probably actually day 3,339 as it's nearly ten years since I was given this novel writing kit (by my amazingly awesome friend Amber).  I always loved the idea of writing a novel but the execution has been something else (or nothing else, to be more exact).

But finally the time has come (helped along by a little bit of heart bypass machine + life support = a couple of months off of work).

So, as I was saying... it's day one!

I haven't yet signed the noveling affidavit but I'm waiting for my friend Lotte to visit this afternoon so she can witness it. I have read the booklet (or as much as I'm allowed to, including Week One - hence starting this blog).  And I have also read today's card:

"Not knowing where to begin is a common form of paralysis. Begin anywhere." - Bruce Mau

Wise words, especially for me since I have no idea what I'm going to write about. Zip. Zero. Nadda. Which makes the badge I'm wearing today quite laughable. But evenso, I was disappointed when the Sainsbury's delivery person this morning didn't ask about my novel.  Paddy asked what I was going to write about and I pointed to the title of the kit. My cousin Jen popped by with her two little boys and she asked as well. My answer was to ask her for plot ideas but she didn't have any. She did say she'd like to read the novel at the end of the month. So at least she believes I'll get there.  I like believers.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so excited about this! I may join you if I can, it was going to be May. On Writing by Stephen King can be read in a day and I highly recommend it. If you're not fired up and ready to go after that, I'll be amazed :-) Good luck, beautiful. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how exciting! I've always thought about and wanted to write a novel. Used to want to turn all my dreams, or at least tale inspiration from them to write something epic. I have THE MOST vivid and bizzare dreams. They are mainly dark, scary and quite macabre. I used to write all my dreams down as soon as I woke up so that they were fresh in my mind, this often an me in a slight rush to get to work. However, sadly after 2 years of religiously documenting my dreams in an as creative writing way as possible, I got broken in to and burgled, and my laptop was amongst the items taken. Completely devastating, I lost everything and have never managed to build up enough 'Umph' to start again. BACK UP YOUR WORK!!!!

    I do have a hand written dream diary from when I was at school but my dreams are much better now.

    So if you want your plot to go down a dark, twisted, nightmare edged, deathly horror path and you want to bounce ideas around I'm your girl!!!!

    GOOD LUCK!! And most importantly HAVE FUN!!

    Rebecca (and Barkley)

    ReplyDelete